Monday, August 10, 2009

Growing Up

For the last few months I have been telling Haydyn that this day would soon come. "You're going to have cake, and open presents, and your passies are going bye-bye." I would say. "Blanky?" She would question with a worried look on her face. "No, blanky is staying here. Just passies are going." "Oh." Haydyn says with a smile.

saying goodbye to passies

The big day arrived and as promised we tied all of her passies to a bouquet of balloons, went outside and said goodbye. "The balloons are taking your passies to new little babies who need them now" I told her. We waved and waved watching the wind carry them away.



At bedtime as I tucked Haydyn in with her blanky the dreaded question came, "Passie?"

Me: "Where are your passies?"

Haydyn: "Bayoons. Bye bye. Babies."

Me: "That's right. Bye bye passies. Goodnight Hayhay."

Haydyn: "Night."

She asked Mallory a few more times about them before she fell asleep. And every once in a while when she is upset she asks about them. We just ask her where they are and she recalls the whole thing. As crazy as it sounds, I might have taken it a little harder than she did. It was hard watching my little girl take one more step away from being my baby. Although she is only two, she is still growing up way to fast. It seems like each child grows up faster than the one before. How can that be? I'm determined to enjoy each day of their childhood.

No comments: