Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Birth" Day Surprise

Four years ago today.

I have a nervous ache in my stomach when I wake up this morning. I can't help but do a play-by-play in my head every year on Cole's birthday.

6:00 am. Was that a contraction?
6:10ish Yep. Yesterday I wasn't even dialated. He said another week.
6:45 "Hey Hon, I think we need to go to the hospital this morning."
7:00 "Hi Mom can you come? No rush, I just started having contractions."
7:02 Plenty of time. I guess I'll shower.
7:20 Ouch. Hmm. When was the last one?
7:30 Wow... these are getting really intense.
7:40 Where's my mom? Maybe we should go ahead and go.
7:50 "Todd call Tara to come over, I think we should go. NOW."
8:00 Hurry. These are REALLY painful!
8:02 Please God... please make them stop, please, please make them stop.
8:05 "Jeanne, should we go to a closer hospital?" I can't do this. "NO... I want my doctor."
8:06 POP! Gush. Oh my gosh. My water just broke.
8:10 Thank goodness. A police escort. Hurry, hurry, hurry. "What is he yelling?" "Slow down, SLOW DOWN?!" "Help me please!" I CAN'T believe he just drove away?
8:11 "Todd, I feel like I need to push." Terror. Unbelievable pain. "PLEASE hurry!!"
8:12 I can't do this! I can't DO THIS! PLEASE HELP ME!
8:15 (Todd calls 911) "I'm driving on the freeway and my wife is about to have a baby!" Or something... I don't really know. I'm too busy screaming my head off. AHHHH.
8:17ish AHHHHHHH! "THE HEAD IS OUT!"
8:20 He's here. The cord is wraped around his neck. Twice. I unwrap it. He's quiet.

What do I do now?

Freckles? I didn't know babies could be born with freckles. Must come from Todd's side of the family. "Jeanne is he breathing? Is he BREATHING?"

"I... I don't know."

"CHECK HIS CHEST, LISTEN AT HIS MOUTH!"

"Yes. He's breathing."

I still can't believe it. So surreal. Like a dream. I prefer not to mention most of the gorry details. But this pretty much tells the story.

Happy Birthday buddy! Although a lot of people know you as "the boy that was born in the truck" we know you are so much more. I love your funny faces. The way you tease. Your energy. Your cool dance moves. The funny things you say. Your eyes. You. I love YOU!

2 comments:

Hillary said...

I am sitting her crying for you even thought I know you are safe and he is safe. I can't belive you did that. I don't want to ever do that. What a guy you have. Doesn't he need to marry Ruby?

Michelle said...

I don't know how you did that! What an amazing story! Tears are in my eyes - I can't imagine doing that. Did you sell the truck? I don't think I could ever get back in it!